Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Eagle Segment of The Wisconsin Ice Age Trail

On this blustery winter day, I decided to post some images of one of my favorite hikes from this past summer.

The Eagle segment of the Ice Age trail is in the southern unit of the Kettle Moraine State Forest and features an expansive prairie, a scenic vista, and an exposed portion of the Niagara Escarpment - usually hidden underground. Wildlife, flora, and fauna all abound as the generally flat trail crosses the prairie.

I started at the northern access to the Eagle segment from STH-67 with plans to go south to Bradys Rocks. I had no idea at the time, just how far that was.


The views from the trail were quite impressive with expanses of Oak Savanah along the way.



This was by far my favorite spot, providing rest, shade and a beautiful view of the oak trees above.




Another view from the prairie.



This was getting close to Bradys Rocks... when I got there I found that the access was beyond my capabilities, especially because I was alone. So, I turned back without taking pictures from that area, my bad.


This was a high point on the way back, looking downward to what was Glacial Lake  Scuppernong.



Approximately 1/2 mile south of the entrance at STH-167 is a hunters access that has a small parking lot. It should probably be avoided during hunting season. From here, it crosses IAT, take it to the left to Bradys rocks or right a short distance to the springs. But, it might be another adventure to continue to the west. 


I plan to return here next summer from the STH-59 access point.

The Ice Age Trail is a 1,000 mile footpath highlighting the remnants left behind by glaciers during the last ice age over 12,000 years ago. Designated as a National Scenic Trail, the Ice Age trail follows the terminal moraine of the last glaciation throughout Wisconsin providing some of the world's best examples of glacial formations such as kettles, moraines, and drumlins.



No comments:

June 3–October 16, 2022 Baker/Rowland Galleries at the Milwaukee Art Museum

Always New: The Posters of Jules Chéret Posters by the French artist Jules Chéret (1836–1932) caused a sensation in 19th-century Paris. Know...