Monday, March 13, 2017

The Cedarburg Settlement, Cedarburg Wisconsin

See the YouTube video HERE

Current events HERE

Cedar Creek Settlement is housed in a mid-19th century stone woolen mill, making it a visually delightful place–indoors and out–doors in which to shop.

Becoming the Cedar Creek Settlement
During the war years the mill was a major supplier of wool blankets for the war effort. In 1945 the mill stopped it’s weaving operation and stopped making blankets. After World War II the mill continued specialty hand weaving yarns and other items like caps and tassels for the wholesale trade.

In 1969 the mill ceased operations and was put up for sale. The Wittenberg family, headed by Carl Wittenberg, accepted an offer from developers who wanted to tear the mill down and put up a gas station. Stephen Fischer, the mayor of Cedarburg at the time, was a preservationist and asked Carl Wittenberg to allow him 6 months to find an alternative buyer to preserve the buildings. That 6 month period ended in February of 1972.

In 1972 the mill had been empty for almost two years and the roof leaked, many windows over 800 were broken and the mill was a cold dank place.

In May of 1972, the wine shop and tasting room were opened to the public. In 1973, shops on the first floor were added, and in 1974 shops were added on the second floor and in 1978 completed the 3rd floor as artists’ studios and limited retail.

The mill in those years became a major tourist destination and helped bring vitality to downtown Cedarburg.

As part of the marketing effort, festivals were decided on as a major focus. In September of 1973 we held our first Wine Harvest Festival. In February of 1974 we added the Winter Festival. In June of 1986 we added the first Strawberry Festival.

Notes on the history of the Wittenberg Woolen Mill from Jim Pape

Festivals seen HERE

See the YouTube video HERE